Benelli

Growing up we had a dog named Cooper, he was a yellow lab. Spending most of the time afraid of him, we never really bonded. When I went off to college in 2010 it was all the rage to get a pet, but I was never really interested. All my friends started getting dogs and adding to their responsibilities, but I wasn't ready.

In 2012 my brother in law passed away, and for some reason my husband just could not get his brothers old dog out of his head. He would talk about getting a lab, and talk about his brother like he just knew he was meant to go get a dog. My husband (we weren't married yet)  was like me, we just didn't really want a dog. A few weeks went by and he kept bringing it up and we started really considering getting a dog. He felt like he couldn't explain it to me, but his heart just knew there was a dog waiting for us.

Well, my last weekend in College Station before I dropped out and moved home (I know, what was I thinking), I saw a craigslist ad for some lab puppies. Without thinking I jumped in my car and headed to Conroe. I had to borrow the money from my aunt, but I just felt this overwhelming feeling that my dog was waiting for me. There was one puppy left, a little girl black lab. 

Benelli potty trained herself, thank god because we had no idea what we were doing, she just went every time we went outside and whined at the door when she needed to go out. She never barks, I mean never. We live on a farm with lots of wildlife around, but she doesn't chase the squirrels, she is friendly. She is the kindest animal I have ever met.

For two people who really never wanted a pet we sure lucked out. The day I went in to labor with out daughter, I didn't even know it yet but Benelli did. As I sat on the couch uncomfortable she never left my side, every trip to the fridge or the bathroom she walked with me. When we brought Ginny home she cried happy tears and hasn't stopped watching over Ginny since.

Seeing the grey hair in her thick black coat is making me so emotional. I never knew I could care for something so much. Benelli taught us how to love and care for something other than ourselves before we became parents. I will forever be thankful for that. I love that Ginny is getting to bond with her and I pray that she lives several more long and healthy years left.

This is just a little ramble because my Benelli girl is the best and I love her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog